New fighters

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Wed Nov 20 08:03:40 PST 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Scott White wrote:

> >when I joined the SCA new "heaveys" were broke in by
> >putting them in armor and beating them like a pell
>
> Um, this has changed? Maybe in a strange way it's better than the cold
> shoulder treatment that many new fighters get now ...

In that brief period when I fought heavy weapons, I was introduced to the
arts by Sir Erich Hlodowechssun, Sir Conn MacNeil, and Lord Donato el Lobo
(pre-Star, it's been a looong time).  These gentles skillfully showed me
what I needed to know about sword and shield, and treated me with respect
and courtesy.  They also wouldn't let me near anyone who would use me as a
pell.  Unfortunately, I could not handle being in armor, I could not, and
cannot, afford any injury to my hands or arms, and I discovered I could
work on the lists or obtain my degree.  I hope to move somewhere that
would allow me to try the light lists.

Kateryn
grimfells