[TY] TYF - Introduction (fwd)

Matthew R. Popalisky mrp at engr.uark.edu
Wed Nov 20 15:28:47 PST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:06:48 -0600 (CST)
From: "David L. Backlin" <dbackli at comp.uark.edu>
To: mrp at engr.uark.edu
Subject: [TY] TYF - Introduction (fwd)

(more to come...)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 96 20:25:00 GMT
From: w.colbert2 at genie.com
To: meridies at comp.uark.edu
Subject: [TY] TYF - Introduction

Unto Their Royal Majesties Gareth and Rhiannon of Meridies,

To Their Royal Highnesses Padruig and Linnet, Heirs of Meridies,

To His Excellency Baron Sir Robert Glendon of Auk, Earl Marshal,

To Sir Robert Greenheart, Marshal of Fence

>From Baron William de Montegilt

Most Humble and Courteous Greeting

Your Majesties, Your Highnesses, and good my Lords, I write this
day at the request of Their Majesties as posted in the Tavern
Yard.  The subject is, of course, Their Majesties' request that
comments on the decision to suspend the experiment in period
fencing in Meridies be sent to them in writing.

One of the duties of a peer is to offer advice at need to the
Crown.  It is not always easy to do this.  In this (rather long,
for which I apologize) letter, I have addressed each issue that
Their Majesties raised in Their message.

Consequently, the general mode of address in this letter is to
Them.  Your Highnesses and my Lords marshal, I do not
intentionally exclude you, and apologize in advance if the tone
seems to indicate that.  I hope that the information presented
herein will assist Your Hignesses in dealing with the issue of
period fencing in fairness to the populace, in the unlikely
occurrence of an unfortunate event befalling Their Majesties.

I hope also that the detailed, accurate information and analysis
presented in this letter will be of use in an unbiased and
dispassionate re-examination of Their Majesties' decision to
abruptly terminate period fencing in Meridies.

At the very least, the tremendous effort on behalf of the
experiment by Your loyal subjects deserves Your serious attention
to the information contained in this letter.

One other word of explanation is in order.  The nature of the
subject is such that it cannot be addressed entirely within the
framework of the Known World.  Also, there are a fairly large
number of quoted messages.  These have been reformatted for
clarity, but not otherwise edited.

With this in mind, I turn now to each of the issues raised by
Your Majesties.