[TY] TYF - Issues, Part 2 (fwd)

Matthew R. Popalisky mrp at engr.uark.edu
Wed Nov 20 16:08:50 PST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:18:25 -0600 (CST)
From: "David L. Backlin" <dbackli at comp.uark.edu>
To: mrp at engr.uark.edu
Subject: [TY] TYF - Issues, Part 2 (fwd)

Return of the son of STILL more to come

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 96 20:44:00 GMT
From: w.colbert2 at genie.com
To: meridies at web.ce.utk.edu
Subject: [TY] TYF - Issues, Part 2

ROSTER SIZE TO SUPPORT AN ACTIVITY

I am a little unclear on how to interpret what Your Majesties
were trying to say.  My best guess is that You feel that in order
for an activity to be encouraged, a certain number of people
must participate.  I cannot imagine how such a number might be
arrived at, although Scripture informs us that God was willing to
spare the city for the sake of ten.  In any case it is certain that
no such targets were defined for the fencing experiment.

There are many activities which have fewer practitioners than
period fencing has accumulated in ten months.  Should these,
then, no longer be encouraged?  Even within the realm of the
marshallate, combat archery and equestrian activities have fewer
adherents than period fencing.

I submit to You that a significant fraction of the glory of Your
kingdom and our Society is that we are inclusive.  The many
awards that exists at all levels of the organization are designed
to reward the pursuit of excellence in all its forms.

Additionally, a requirement for justice is even-handed treatment.
If You are actually considering a participation "floor" for some
activities, I pray Your Majesties reconsider, as justice requires
a similar constraint on other activities.  Rather, please
encourage Your subjects to excel at what they choose to do.  The
Known World is big enough for all of us.

EVENT SUPPORT AND CANCELLATIONS

To repeat Your words which I quoted above:
   "Numerous fencing events and demos have been canceled due to a
   lack of interest and attendance."

In fact, there were two fencing activities at events and one demo
canceled during the ten months in which fencing was permitted.
They were not canceled for the reasons stated by Your Majesties.
They were canceled due to the unavailability of a fencing marshal
at that particular time.

I am excluding from this description three other cancellations.
Two events, among them Fool's War, had fencing scheduled, but the
ban on fencing in Novus Matisco dictated these cancellations.
One additional marshals' class had also been scheduled but was
forbidden to be held by His Majesty who did not wish it to
conflict with the Warlord Tourney at the most recent Crown
Tournament.

The number of fencing marshals, and the process for warranting
them, was covered above.  In this calendar year, prior to
November 7th, there were 39 weekends on which events were held.
There were a total of 85 events held, including dance workshops,
arts events, etc., at which there were no combat-related
activities.  Fencing activities occurred on 23 of these weekends,
and at 26 events.  As noted, three events were forbidden or
banned.

In addition, Meridies hosted the Known World Fencers' Reception
at Pennsic 25, and some of Your subjects were invited to
participate in the Fencing Champions Tournament there as well.

After November 7th, there were six weekends with a total of 11
events scheduled.  Fencing activities had been scheduled for five
of these weekends, covering seven of the events.  Further
requests for fencing activities have come in as far in advance as
next March.

It should be clear to anyone who reads this that the effort on
behalf of Your kingdom by Your fencing marshals has been
phenomenal.  Support for period fencing has, in fact, been
enthusiastic throughout Meridies.

FAILINGS

Your Majesties write:

   "Furthermore, the experiment itself has had many failings.
   Currently, all official reports are well past due.  We have
   had a major suspension action within the first six months."

REPORTS

The reporting structure for the fencing experiment was that local
marshals would report to the two regional deputy marshals.  Sir
Richard would report to Lady Irene as well.  Sir Loric and Lady
Irene would then report to Sir Robert Greenheart.

I checked with Sir Robert Greenheart.  He said the first series
of reports were due just before Pennsic.  He received them
immediately after Pennsic.  All three of the marshals involved
were present at Pennsic.  He did not consider that to be a
significant delay, nor does Master Tivar, whom I quote:

   "1. Were you satisfied with the fencing program as it existed
   in Meridies?

   Overall, yes. More timely reports would have been nice, but
   Meridies is far from unique in the "late reports" department."

The second set of reports, according to Sir Robert, would have
been due on December 15th, which issue is moot at this time.

As You can see, neither Your fencing marshal nor the Society
officer responsible for fencing considers this a significant issue.

NOVUS MATISCO SUSPENSION

Earlier this year, three fencers in Novus Matisco were observed
to have been practicing after a workday at a camp they use as a
site, without a fencing marshal being present.  A fighter
practice was scheduled for later that day.  One of these was a
novice, the other two had recently moved to Meridies.  There is
some confusion about what precisely did occur, but for now let us
assume the facts as stated above.

The Earl Marshals' initial reaction was not to let normal
disciplinary action within the fencing marshallate take its
course, but to end the fencing experiment immediately.  He was
dissuaded from this unreasonable course of action.

Instead, a six-month ban on all fencing activities was levied
against Novus Matisco and the fencers involved.  A side effect of
this was to cancel fencing activities at Fools' War.  The three
fencers and Novus Matisco had completed their suspension, just a
few weeks before fencing was abruptly terminated.

Three fencers, practicing on their own.  If this infraction is
defined by Your Majesties as a "major suspension", I certainly
cannot argue it with You.  At the very least, no one was shot.

This is the ONLY infraction noted during the ten months in which
period fencing was permitted.  I would call that an enviable
record.