YKYITSCAW

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Nov 20 23:09:41 PST 1996

I have another YKYITSCAW tale...

Thordis Hakonarsdottir contributed this gem.  Bjornsborg, as you may know,
is mundanely San Antonio, Texas, and has a very large Hispanic popluation
and Hispanic culture permeates many areas of everyday life for all.  A
popular custom is the celebration of a girl's 15th (I think it's 15th!)
birthday, which is something like a "Coming Out" party or debut.

In Thordis's office, a co-worker's daughter had just passed this milestone.
But as the co-worker related to Thordis, at the huge celebration (open bar)
several folks became very drunk, and an uncle got into a screaming
confrontation with a cousin, cakes were hurled, fisticuffs ensued, chaos
reigned.

Thordis, ever the consummate Viking (there's a reason she's a Lion of
Ansteorra!) says her first thought was, "How wonderful!  This means that
this girl will have word fame for this party forever!"  And then five
minutes later, she realized that the correct thought should have been, "Oh,
no, how terrible, I bet the poor girl was mortified!"

She says it was a true example of YKYITSCAW....

Wassail,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde