Blackwork Information

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Nov 22 06:10:42 PST 1996

Heilsa, All.

        This is my last few minutes on the keyboard before the surgeon gets
me later this AM.  Meanwhile, I found this nifty list of information sources
for Blackwork Embroidery on the Historical Costuming List, and thought I'd
share it with you.

As always, I did not compile this info, the original author's name is listed
at the bottom of the text below.

Blackwork Embroidery
--------------------
http://www16.crl.com/~kdyer/documents/mag_book_vid.html
        Needlework FAQ: Magazines, Books, Videotapes
http://www.ambook.org/bookstore/needlework/
        Hard-to-Find Needlework Books
http://www.pacificnet.net/~pmarmor/bwarch.html
        Elizabethan Blackwork: The Blackwork Embroidery
        Archives [patterns and everything!!! yaay!]
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext.faq/usenet/crafts/textiles/faq/part1
/faq.html
        Textiles FAQ from rec.crafts.textiles and alt.sewing
http://www.greenduck.com/newrtpl/charts.htm
        Green Duck Designs Charts Category Price List
http://bull.got.kth.se/~annat/
        Anna's LARP Crafts Links Page [a lot of this is
        in Swedish, but the links are great; there's a whole
        section on embroidery, and for the fellas, a bunch
        of links on making your own armor, weapons, chainmail, and
        even a link called "Much ado about bondage..." I'll
        let you go there yourselves... plus, there's quite a
        few costuming sites]
http://www.ftech.net/~regia/embroid.htm
        Embroidery Techniques
http://www.crl.com/~kdyer/xstitch.html
        Counted Cross Stitch, Needlework, and Stitchery
        Page
http://www.tiag.com/
        Told in a Garden [stitchery resources and designs]
http://www.fml.com/bsd/
        Black Swan Designs [counted cross stitch designs]
http://www.scsn.net/users/pegasus/
        Pegasus Originals Inc. [more counted cross stitch]

and my personal favorite, the granddaddy of them all
(well, not really, but I'm mighty impressed by the contents
of this page-it's emphasis is on info., not flash):

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jscole/medembro.html
        The Medieval/Renaissance Embroidery Home Page

Milieux:The Costume Site
http://ddi.digital.net/~milieux/costume.html
     The best costume site I've seen, with links to everything you can imagine.

-----------------------------
NEEDLEWORK:

Medieval/Renaissance Embroidery Homepage
http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/jscole/medembro.html

Donna's Needlework Page
http://www.dabbler.com/ndlwrk.html
     Valuable not so much for itself as for its many good links.

Counted Cross Stitch, Needlework, and Stitchery Page
http://www.crl.com/~kdyer/xstitch.html

The Lacemaker's Home Page
http://www.arachne.com/

Blackwork Embroidery Archives
http://www.pacificnet.net/~pmarmor/bw_sesns.html
     A little disappointing -- only six designs.