Exciting Tournaments

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sat Nov 23 13:33:06 PST 1996

> The fact is that all tournaments, in all of our combat styles have
> the potential to be deadly dull.  It's one fight after another with
> little pomp and circumstance and an endless stream of fighters.  The

I have an idea: what if we split the fighting into two activities, the
elimination (or qualification) portion and the finals. The qualification rounds
could happen off to the side without the expectation that everyone would watch,
and the final, say, 8 people could fight the finals in front of everyone. This
makes all kinds of twists available, like having a noble sponsor each fighter
in the finals, or doing the full heraldry thing, or presenting each fighter to
the crown, etc. Those last few rounds are what folks who don't fight that style
really want to see anyway. Watching 150 fighters work out their rankings gets
dull no matter what the fighting style.

Savein