Exciting Tournaments

Keith Ewing keandbc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 25 15:24:35 PST 1996

You wrote:

>> The fact is that all tournaments, in all of our combat styles have
>> the potential to be deadly dull.  It's one fight after another with
>> little pomp and circumstance and an endless stream of fighters.  The
>
>I have an idea: what if we split the fighting into two activities, the

>elimination (or qualification) portion and the finals. The
qualification rounds
>could happen off to the side without the expectation that everyone
would watch,
>and the final, say, 8 people could fight the finals in front of
everyone. This
>makes all kinds of twists available, like having a noble sponsor each
fighter
>in the finals, or doing the full heraldry thing, or presenting each
fighter to
>the crown, etc. Those last few rounds are what folks who don't fight
that style
>really want to see anyway. Watching 150 fighters work out their
rankings gets
>dull no matter what the fighting style.
>
>Savein

We did this at Bryn Gwlad Baronial during my reign. Remember? We held
the semifinals and the finals DURING court that evening. We alternated
one chivalric fight with one rapier fight until all six fights had been
fought. The populace was already seated to view court. They cheered and
applauded. It was glorious. Also... noone was bored with court.

Kein