Recognizing Skill and Good Works

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Sun Nov 3 18:08:17 PST 1996

<snip>
>I don't get out much, so please pardon this question, but do Marches of
>Precedence really happen?  When is this likely to occur?
>
>Researching at home until we get a real job,
>
>Kateryn

Heilsa, Kateryn!

        We just had one at the Bjornsborg XXth Anniversary.  We used to do
them more when the SCA was not so populous, as it was a way of adding
ceremony and atmosphere (Bjornsborg typically had the entire March pavanne
into the hall).  Plus it was a way for each of us to celebrate our achievements.

        That was when 50 people at an event was a *lot*!!  We had over 300
attending this weekend at Bjornsborg... not everyone marched, but it was a
long March of Precedence and we weren't even dancing this time!

        The whole event was a lot of fun, and we deliberately were looking
at nostalgia.  Many of our newcomers had ever seem a March, so the baron
felt it was high time we did one.

        Bjornsborg also used a modified March of Precedence idea.  Our baron
and baroness do not sit alone in court... the members of the baronia order
sit in court as well on either side.  Very often the members of the baronia
order enter ceremonially before the baron and baroness, having our ranks and
titles assnounced, often with music.  Then the music swells and the baronial
couple marches.  It's a nice picee of theater.

Wassail,

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde