Marches of Precedence/B

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Tue Nov 5 10:23:30 PST 1996

On 5 Nov 1996, Mark Harris wrote:

> I have often heard that it is a problem for folks with kids when the
> feast is so late. Perhaps we should start bringing our own items to tide
> us over until feast begins.

Good heavens, yes.  I have unfond mundane childhood memories of my
parent's friends who kept a European schedual.  Smalls who have a regular
schedual for eating really should have *something* at that time, in fact,
so should us "bigs".  M'lord and I nearly always have our own bread,
cheese, and whatever.  As a friendly note, if you meet us at an event, and
you are waiting for feast and hungry, come ask.   We usually have
home-made bread and cheddar and will be happy to share.

> But having the feast and march so late has
> other problems as well: It means that the individuals don't get to
> show off their clothing, it is getting cold, stumbling around crowded
> tables in the dark is more difficult and you can't see what you are eating.

The first feast gear we got were the plates/etc.  We then learned we
really need candlestick holders.  Now the big effort is to remember to buy
candles...

> this feast was good. Along this line, it would have been nice to have
> had signs announcing each food item in the buffet lines.

The last feast I went to had a "menu".  It's nice to know what's coming,
even when it's brought to you (like having the correct recepticle
readied).  Also, those with children or picky spouses like the warning
(mine will sulk if certain flavors are snuck up on him.  Oh well, can't
have a perfect husband...).

We really should rename this group the first Ansteorran Bank of Penses...

Kateryn