How we play SCA in Ansteorra

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Nov 7 14:41:35 PST 1996

Greetings Jamnor...

Meadhbh here.  I have lived in 2 kingdoms: the Midrealm and Ansteorra.
I can tell you there are a lot if differences.  The way we play is one.
The midrealm does not 'camp' as much as we do therefore their social
structure has evolved differently IMHO.
For example, since they don't camp..most events are at a church, hall,
university, etc. You either crash somewhere or stay in a hotel.  After
feast/court/revel...everyone departs and goes to their separate post
revels.To be honest, one would never think of attending a post-revel
outside their 'clique'unless it was open invitation.  I think this keeps
most people from getting to know each other (whether you like them or
not).  On the otherhand, here in Ansteorra since we do 'open' camping
(we don't barricade our campsites and control entry into individual
camps) it seems we are one big 'family'. Granted some of the 'family
groups' don't get along with others....it happens. I have never seen
anyone barred from a campsite.  After the feast/court/revel at a camping
event...the campfires get going and many people go from one campsite to
another.  I think this gives different groups a chance to mingle, share
stories, drink and song.  In the end, I have seen this kingdom unite
together when it feels threatened (look what happened when the BoD
raised its ugly head a few years ago).

Just my 5 pence (it was more than 2 cents).

meadhbh