program for music

Scott White swhite at onr.com
Thu Nov 7 16:30:45 PST 1996

>   I have seen a beaut of a program called Finale, but as I had no money
>at the time, I didn't price it.  Richard has seen one called Band in a
>BOx, but knows nothing of its features.

Finale is gonna be WAY more money than you want to spend (I'm talking
multiple hundreds of dollars). Even a lower-end program like Band-in-a-Box
is gonna be about $100, I think. I use pro-level audio programs like Pro
Tools, Studio Vision Pro, Cubase and the like ($400-1000+ software packages)
so I really haven't got a good handle on what the lower-end programs offer.

However, I'm fairly sure you could scare up a good shareware sequencer on
the net (the program you're looking for is called a sequencer, btw) that
could play notes from your soundcard. That way, you won't have to invest in
an external sound module or pricey commercial software. That'd be more than
sufficient for sketching in basic melodies, which I think is what you're after.

Gnith
<swhite at onr.com>