Fencing in Meridies

Todd W. Marsh (Sierra Dallas) TMarsh at sierrasys.com
Thu Nov 14 20:55:27 PST 1996

>Kateryn asked:
>What happened?!?!

and posted the letter from their Majesties Meridies that included:

>Due to a variety of factors, We must bring the fencing experiment in Meridies
to a close, effective immediately. <snip>

which mentions several excuses for their decision, including lack of
interest and safety concerns.  I do not believe that any of these
excuses are valid.  They did not consult their own marshals, or even
inform them.

Lack of Interest?  In 9 months, Meridies authorized 50 fighters.  After
1 year of fencing, Ansteorra had about 5.

Safety? In Meridies there have been no fencing injuries.  In Trimaris, a
fencer took a blade that had been banned from use onto the practice
field.  The marshal on the field didn't know this and didn't check the
equipment.  The blade broke and penetrated the other fencer's jacket and
pectoral muscle.  Both fencers and the marshal on the field got
suspensions.  It took a triple failure (blade, jacket, marshal) to cause
an injury about as bad as those seen monthly at armored practices.  (One
armored fighter in this barony currently has a broken hand and another a
torn rotator cuff in the shoulder.)  Yes, it could have been _much_
worse.  Does this mean all fighting should stop?

In another situation in Atenvelt, a blade broke and the broken end hit a
mask.  It slid off the mask and tore the vinyl padded edging.  No one
was hurt.  In doing its job, the mask was damaged.  When was the last
time _you_ saw armor damaged?  Is this a major safety incident?  I don't
think so either.

We don't know yet what this means for fencing at Gulf War.  I don't
expect that Meridies will reinstate fencing by then.  If the Crown of
Meridies denies the field, I will bring suit to their court.  I will not
fight secretly to avoid their decision, as has been done in the past.

Llywelyn
Lord Elfsea