Why I Hate Fencing

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed Nov 20 16:09:20 PST 1996

Greetings,
meadhbh here....

Rik Packham/Angus mac Taggart wrote:

(big snip)
. But should we give
> serious consideration to the formation of a new peerage?

sigh..talk about opening another can of worms.  The rapier fighters
cannot be formed into a peerage unless ALL the kingdoms recognize the
fighting form and then the debate will start.  The question always comes
up: Do we need 2 peerages for fighters?  Why not recognize the rapier as
a Knight.  We don't have separate peerages for different arts &
sciences.  This is one that will take much discussion IF the time ever
comes.

Should the
> position of Don be elevated to being a peer? If so, should all Dons (and
> forgive me, but I know not the feminine (boy am I going to catch it for
> that one) form of Don), be elevated to peer status, or should they be
> re-avaluated(sp?) for the position of peer?

If a peerage is ever formed (and I mean IF)...it would not grandfather
in everyone into the order.  Members would be elevated into it.

 If they are re-avaluated for
> peer status, should a new (and unused) title be coined?

Most likely one will be developed. I wouldn't start hassling the heralds
about that now....

Should the Queen
> begin petitioning the peerage for the formation of this new status? Or
> should I shut up and run and hide the Highland way?

I don't think you need to run and hide over this one.....(grin).  I
don't think (IMHO) that petitioning will do any good.  Unfortunately,
until rapier combat is fully recognized than the only way to peerage is:
1. Become a chivalric fighter and get knighted (Sir Galen Niccoli is a
wonderful example of that)
2.  Perform service to the Kingdom and Society and become a Pelican.
(Master Tivar Moondragon comes to mind).
3. Do much research into the costuming, fighting styles, and the
timeperiod in general and get a Laurel. (Don't know of anyone in
Ansteorra recognized in this manner but it has happened in other
kingdoms).

well...that is my 2 cents....

meadhbh