Why I Hate Fencing

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Nov 20 21:33:33 PST 1996

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, harry billings <psobaka at mail.myriad.net> wrote:
> The corporate by-laws state something to the effect that rapier
> fighting is not within the time frame of the SCA and therefore shall
> not be used to determine a crown/coronet list, or something like
> that.  I saw something about it on the Ansteorra list during the
> Principality debate.

Rapier fighting is quite well within period and nobody knowledgable
has said otehrwise.  The exact quote is Governing and Policy Decision
#5 (not the By-Laws, by the way; they are concerned pretty much solely
with the corporate structure):

    5. RAPIER FIGHTING IN THE SOCIETY (September 1979, revised July 1989)

    The Board acknowledges period rapier combat as an ancillary
    activity of the Society when properly supervised by the Marshals
    and when approved by individual kingdoms.

      Rapier combat may take place within a kingdom only by rules
    established by the Marshallate of that kingdom and after the
    approval of those rules by the Marshal of the Society.  The Board
    directs the Marshal of the Society to formulate guidelines for
    rapier combat within the Society.

        Rapier combat, not having been part of formal tournament
    combat in the Middle Ages, shall not be a part of formal
    tournament lists for royal ranks and armigerous titles.

> As for a peerage for Dons / Dona ...
> created then all Dons / Dona should be included or an entirely new title
> should be given to those in the peerage.
> Yes.
> NO.

*scratches head*

By the way, please trim quoted messages, especially points that you're
not addressing at all.  We presumably saw the original messages, and
anyway there's no need to repeat them.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel