Medieval ivory

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Fri Nov 22 08:18:41 PST 1996

Stefan said:
> I also have a small book on medieval ivory carving that
>I could dig out if anyone wants the bibliographical info.

Then Gunnora asked:
>Please?

So, here is the citation for the book:

Medieval Ivory Carvings, Paul Williamson, Victoria & Albert Museum,
PittmanBooks, Ltd, London 1982 ISBN 0 11 290377 0

"This brief history of medieval ivory carvings covers a period
from the imperial commissions of the fifth century to the end of
the Gothic era.

Apart from their inherent beauty they are very important indicators
of stylistic change as little monumental sculpture exists from
between the years 500-1050."

Elephant ivory has been prized since prehistory and its neutral
colour has made it particularly suitable for embellishment with
jewels, and for uses ranging from book covers to combs."

It has 47 pages with color pictures on over half the pages.

Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra
markh at risc.sps.mot.com