Exciting Tournaments

Chris Walden cmwalden at flash.net
Sun Nov 24 05:39:05 PST 1996

On 23 Nov 96 James Crouchet wrote:

> I have an idea: what if we split the fighting into two activities,
> the elimination (or qualification) portion and the finals. The
> qualification rounds could happen off to the side without the
> expectation that everyone would watch, and the final, say, 8 people
> could fight the finals in front of everyone.

But, Savien, that would mean that most people wouldn't get to show
their stuff.  How can one progress in the fighting community without
a captive audience?  :-)

Actually I like this idea.  It would make a drastic change in how we
viewed our tournaments and the prize fighters.  It would also require
those of us who often didn't make it into the winners circle to come
up with some different motivations for our fighting.  But I can
picture tournaments that are better enjoyed as a spectator sport with
a more period point of view.  I can also picture people allowing
their fighting skills to grow for personal improvement and skill more
than purely for public display.

Do we have any local tournaments coming up where we could put this
into playtest?

Antoine