AOA/SCA Awards/NK investiture.

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Tue Nov 26 15:41:08 PST 1996

<Rhiain<Terry_A._Harper at hud.gov>>
>I believe some clarification is in order here.  First,
 Diarmut, please correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what I
 understand the situation to be.
 Diarmut's persona is not what he believes is a "Lord"....

Fortunately I'm in the middle of some major self-disclosure elsewhere
on the net, so this is a good time for this.  What you have described
*is* correct, but it is not the entirety of the problem.  Rather I have
created "Diarmuit" to take advantage of the fact that in "Period"
"Lord" meant something other than what it is presented as in the SCA.
This is because *I* (Marc Carlson) have some strict criteria regarding
what constitutes "nobility" *for me*.

In many ways, though, you are correct.  Diarmuit is an Irish scholar,
taken to business as an "alien Merchant" living in London in 1300.
"Gentleman" (or what would later be called a Gentleman (that term is first
recorded, I believe, in 1415)) is *barely possible*.  Nobility is out of
the question for my persona...  Purchasing the status as a "Gentleman",
and arms to attend that, OH is possible.

<Thyra of Black Oak Keep<KochKA at gvl.esys.com (Koch, KA Kimberly 4384)>>>
[Trimmed to get to what I see as her main points]
>...I understand that you're angry, and I apologize if I'm about to
>make it worse. However, this is something I feel very strongly about
>and I just have to say this.  I've come to believe that awards have
>as much to do with the people who give them as they do with the people
>who get them...

You haven't made me angry, and I'm perfectly happy to discuss this,
since, while I don't agree with you, I've been having to think about
WHY I don't agree with you.

>...I feel like an award is really a gift bestowed upon you by your
>friends, and rejecting that gift is tantamount to rejecting their
>affection for you and their belief in you....

It appears that we are looking at this from two diametrically opposed
points of selfishness, so I really doubt that we are going to find much
common ground here (I don't mean selfishness in a bad way, since really
we are just wanting to do things the way that best suits us).

However, the fact that I have been pretty specific and straightforward
with my friends (as well as the few people else where who have asked)
They have done me the curtesy of showing their appreciation and belief
in me, in other ways.

================
<Mark Harris" <mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com>>
[Also trimmed]
>I was a bit shocked when I saw this announcement, too. Not because you
>got it, but because I thought you must've gotten it long ago....

This is a problem for many people (although in my case it wasn't a
problem).  There are a good many people who *would* appreciate this
sort of recognition who are overlooked because people think that
either they already have one, or that it was someone else's place to
put them up for an award.

>Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to meet you in person, but
>from what I've seen here and on the Rialto, you well deserve more than
>this...

Honest, in person I'm just as the same, but without the "delete" ability.
Just ask those people who HAVE met me ...

>...Just because you enjoy doing the research doesn't mean that it doesn't
>help those of us who don't or cannot do it.

This is why I try to make what I am currently researching available.
It is more time consuming when I have to put my notes in a form that
other people will find *convenient*, but that's my problem.

>PS: Anyone thinking of making or buying medieval shoes should take a look
>at Diarmuit's Web page on making medieval shoes first.

Thank you, that's what it's there for :)

I. Marc Carlson, Reference Librarian    |LIB_IMC at CENTUM.UTULSA.EDU
Tulsa Community College, West Campus LRC|Sometimes known as:
Reference Tech. McFarlin Library        | Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn, Esq.
University of Tulsa, 2933 E. 6th St.    | Barony of Northkeep, Ansteorra
Tulsa, OK  74104-3123 (918) 631-3794    |