"Lord" Diarmuit (Re: Did anyone go to the Northkeep Investiture)

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Tue Nov 26 17:10:28 PST 1996

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, I. Marc Carlson wrote:

> <Galen of Bristol <pmitchel at flash.net>>
> >...In your case, Lord Diarmuit, as it is clear that you do not wish this
> >honor, grateful though you may be for the sentiment behind it (which
> >I share), may I suggest that you simply write to the BoD and resign it?
>
> You can DO that?

Oh yes.  Lord Soubrianne of Grimfells many years ago was elected to the
Iren Fyrd.  Something came up (I was never told what, and htis was way
before my time) and he felt he had to resign the order.  His decision was
met with much regret and great respect.

> BTW, as an interesting aside (note, I am simply relating this, not
> advocating it), if you were to take the Current SCA Rank Structure,
> lose the "Lord" thing below the Peerage Level, drop the Knights, Pelicans
> and Laurels out of the Peerage, to form the "Knightly Rank", and then having
> a Peerage made up of Barons (Landed and Court), Kings, Dukes, and Counts. Oh
> yes, and consider only those people without and AoA as freeborn peasants
> (everyone between the Peerage and the Commoners would be "gentry" IOW
> low-rent nobility), you would have a rank structure that would more
> accurately reflect a medieval example, in numbers that would better reflect
> the percentages of Aristocrats to Nobility.

Definatly a point to ponder.  Also means it would have been okay for mom
to call me Mistress.

Kateryn
Grimfells

PS, tell Talana the regalia looked great!