Thoughts on Unwanted Awa

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Nov 27 09:22:24 PST 1996

Gunnora sez:

Some folks have mentioned the fact that you may, if you choose, decline to
accept an award at time of presentation.  Most people feel that refusing an
award in court is rude, to say the least.  I suspect that a sincere
protestation of "Lord King, I am truly not yet worthy of such an award,
please wait a while longer until I feel that I am worthy" would not horribly
offend, but it still would be embarrassing to the Crown and the folks who
recommended you for the award.  [I'd like to hear comments from those who
have sat thrones as to how this would be perceived:  how would youhave
reacted if someone did this in one of your courts?  How would it have
affected your perceptions of the person in general, and how would it affect
your decisions regarding the person if you sat the throne again?]

So far, we've mentioned the recipents thoughts, the nominator's thoughts,
the crowns' thoughts, but no one has mentioned the scribes thoughts. Do
they not count?

Since the scroll is given out in court, the name has already been placed
on the scroll and thus the scroll is effectively trashed. Even for a
"fill between the lines" promissary scroll, someone has spent time
working on it. Even more hours, sometimes many hours more, for a scroll
personalized for an individual.

I think for everyone involved it would be better not to decline an award
in court. At the same time, an individual's wishes should not be disregarded.
If they are, and an award is refused, please do not rip it up in the middle
of
court, much as that might make you feel better. There are period methods for
invalidating an award without distroying the scroll. The scribe or
illuminators
might be pleased to have the scroll back as an illustration of their work.

Any scribes or illumintors wish to comment?

Stefan li Rous
(Never sat on a throne and unlikely to, but opinionated never the less)

markh at risc.sps.mot.com