Thoughts on Unwanted Awards,Award Resignations

Connie Carroll Connie.Carroll at eden.com
Thu Nov 28 11:53:13 PST 1996

I've read the thought by  Katheryn,Gunnora and Stephen and had to add
something having been on both sides of the fence as recipient and as
the Crown.

As Crown,back many years ago when we didn't always have the complete
imformation on people and assummed that they didn''t have an
award,receieved reccommendations and processed them.

Yes,there were a few courts where we had the person brought forward
and the herald announce that they were receieving an AOA. We saw the
person look very embarassed,then they would lean forward and say
"Your Majesties" I already have a AOA." It was done polietely,so we
would able to come up with something to say to the court.Have also
has people who felt t was too soon for the award they were given,but
they said they woud think about it.

NOW,for the other side of the fence as the recipient of an award.Yes,
I have been called up and felt it was not only too early ,but that I
didn't deserve the award at all. At times like this you don't think
about the scroll being made or anything else,except that you cannot
accept something you don't feel you derserved. This happened  on two
occassions.The first being for a Kingdon service award  (not THE
service award) I was close to the Crown and the Kingdom officer that
was acually the one handing it out. I told them that I wasn't
comfortable with it as I had been inactive for 4 months due to an
illness, so I could not see the purpose in this.The kingdom officer
them spoke to the populace on why he felt I derseve the award,mostly
for my past work.While he was doing this,the crown was talking to me
and convinced me to accept it and turn it down later if I still felt
the same way. I agreed.
I know I lot of people will say that isn't the way to treat the
crown,but folks this IS their job.Dealing with uncertain situations
is part of everyday life for the Crown!In my situation it helped that
I was great friend with the Crwon and the Kingdon officer. I did take
the time to think about the award and I did come to realize that I
had worked for it.
I just don't believe in accepting an award if I don't derserve it.If
you feel that way and talk to the Crown reasonably,respectfully
&politely they will understand your views.
I haven't seen anyone memtioned about Peeerage level awars in this
so,I'll add my two cents in on this one.
I remember years ago (in another Kingdom) someone who was elevated to
a peerage and saw them shaking their head back and forth whie the
scroll was being read.We all fully expected this person to turn it
down right there. Saw the crown talking to them and the ceremony
continued. Now this new peer carried for months on how they didn't
derserve the award and they weren't ever going to and how they were
going to turn it back in. They never did and they never in a lot of
peoples opinions derserve or try to derserve that honor.Personally,
it seemed to be a slap in the face of the Order and the Crown that
gave it to them.The majority opinion was that if this person had
turned the order back that night,things would have  woorked out and
this order  would not been looked at as a joke concerning this
individual.

I cite these examples,because there is no cut and dry solution for
this.Every person is different and the timing of the award also has
to added to the assessment.

Something to think about.

Countess Kassandra NickKraken
Connie.Bunny at worldnet.att.net