Spear Work

Michael Gunter michael_gunter1 at msmail.fnts.com
Wed Oct 2 13:30:26 PDT 1996

Sir Lyonel,

I have found nearly every thing you have said on this forum to be intelligent
and well-grounded and I usually agree fully with you.  But, alas, all good
things must come to an end and I must disagree with you on one point.  You
mentioned attaching a shovel handle to the end of a spear.  I agree with
using it to help you retrieve a weapon which the other side is trying to
steal (although I disagree with this in the sense that there is no historical
precedent of spears with any sort of attachment like this), but stating that
the handle could be used to provide the additional "oomph" on a shot is very
wrong.  Using the butt end of a spear to deliver a shot is "harpooning" and,
as I'm sure you well know, an extreme no-no.  The thought of someone using a
handle as additional leverage to increase the force of a spear shot
(especially a fiberglass spear!) frightens me to no end.

I'm sure that you just thought of the handle idea and wrote it in or that you
were saying it tongue-in-cheek but I worry that someone else reading this may
think it was a nifty idea and try it.

I always look forward to your correspondence and I feel that this was just a
minor lapse in your otherwise very intelligent discourse.

I hope to meet you in person soon.

Yers,

Sir Gunthar