Spear pennants

dennis guy grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 2 12:27:24 PDT 1996

At 03:39 PM 10/2/96 -0500, Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra wrote:

>I think I've seen one spear equipped with a strap, but also have a tickle at
>the back of my brain that the strap on the spear was only marginally
>acceptable for reasons that I can't recall. (Probably was an admonition that
>the loop of the strap could not extend past the butt of the spear, but I
>can't say for certain at present - was two-three years ago..)

Leather straps on spear butts are a bad idea for two reasons.  First, they
promote the practice of releasing the spears and dragging them back by the
lanyard, which means the spears "fly" out of control and hit wildly (the
longer the lanyard, the more dangerous this practice becomes).  Second,
especially if you have spear thieves about, a lanyard on a spear is a great
way to get a broken wrist.

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace