Spear pennants

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Wed Oct 2 13:39:00 PDT 1996

>>In order to avoid (or confuse) the "spear-stealers", has anyone seriously
>>considered tear-away pennons instead of reinforcing them more heavily?
[ ...]
> I love this idea.  It's sly, devious, cunning--Sun Tsu would approve.  I
> have a clear image of a spear-stealer toppling onto his backside with a
> handful of tear-away pennon.  We could make the pennons of a fairly sturdy
> broadcloth (painted or inked rather than embroidered, to keep down the
cost)
> and make the ties of felt, perforated to facilitate tearing away.  We
could
> even write messages on the margins of the pennons--something like:
>     This pennon has been alchemically treated to cause rapid genital
> shrinkage.  Have a nice day.

After (or just before) sending the tear-away idea, my brain considered
making the tie-ons from Velcro -- but I have had that product work better
than was wanted at times...

> I have also found that, by connecting my pennons with stitched loops
instead
> of ties, I can march with my pennon at the spear head and slide it back
down
> toward the butt before engaging.  I devised this method to avoid damaging
> finely made pennon, but it should work to keep it out of reach of grabby
> enemy soldiers.

I *like* this one. Also should make the final product longer-lasting /
easier to exchange (from personal to Kingdom, or unit, or -- to be *truly*
evil...)

> Also, a shovel handle at the butt of your spear will not only keep the
> banner from slipping off the spear, it will make your spear harder to pull
> away and give just a tiny bit of added oomph to that last foot of full
range
> thrust.

Meaning a U-shape-with-crossbar? Hmmm. Could a loop of leather strap be used
instead, similar to the old-style "integral lanyard" occasionally still seen
on rattan swords?

I think I've seen one spear equipped with a strap, but also have a tickle at
the back of my brain that the strap on the spear was only marginally
acceptable for reasons that I can't recall. (Probably was an admonition that
the loop of the strap could not extend past the butt of the spear, but I
can't say for certain at present - was two-three years ago..)

Um. This whole discussion makes me start thinking even more seriously about
finishing re-construction of my armor...

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!