Son of Rude Slayings

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 10 13:51:18 PDT 1996

only say that I am unfamiliar with the "light tap on the back of the helm"
KFB scenario, but it sounds--well, let's just say it sounds like it wasn't
very well thought out.  I would expect exactly the problem Throgrim
describes.  Who's going to notice a light tap on the back of the halm in the
midst of a pitched battle?  That's like expecting someone to notice a tug on
the sleeve in the middle of a forty-car pile up on the freeway.

I concur with Sir Robert, writing with regard to Western practice.  A weapon
laid across the face usually suffices.

I'm willing to listen, though.  Does anyone want to offer support for the
light tap on the back of the helm method?

Incidentally, I would still like to see some rationale or support for the
claim that KFB scenarios lead to injury.  Again, I am assuming the same
system named by Sir Robert:  the warrior killing from behind places a weapon
across the opponent's eyes and calls out "You're dead from behind."  (Many
of the treaties specify "You're dead from behind, Milord," but that
gratuitous "Milord" seems to really irritate the viragos.)
Dennis G. Grace
Assistant Instructor
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
University of Texas

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)