Plastic for Armor

Mark Harris mark_harris at riscgate.sps.mot.com
Mon Oct 14 10:41:23 PDT 1996

Mistress Gunnora asks:

        I have a quick question:  after following a lot of interesting
commentary on the Rialto about how horrible and awful plastic armor is or is
not, I wonder,

What kind of plastic is being used for armor?  Where do you get it?  Is it
being heat shaped?

I have a set of knees and elbows made of some dark black plastic that are
really sturdy, and which I suspect were heat-shaped.  I have some really
nifty A&S ideas that would involve using this type of plastic as molds and
frameworks and stuff.  I'd really appreciate any information I can find
about this type of plastic.

Different types of plastics have been used. There are pros and cons for
each. It can often be worked in your kitchen.

Take a look at this file in the COMBAT section of my SCA Files:
armor-plastic-msg (50K) 10/11/94    Making plastic armor.

I haven't been paying much attention to the most recent discussions on
plastic armor on the Rialto, but I doubt much has changed since I last
added to this file.

This file is available from me by email in text or Word format or at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com