Plastic for Armor

Scot Eddy seddy at vvm.com
Mon Oct 14 04:38:17 PDT 1996

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> Heilsa, All.
>
>         I have a quick question:  after following a lot of interesting
> commentary on the Rialto about how horrible and awful plastic armor is or is
> not, I wonder,
>
> What kind of plastic is being used for armor?  Where do you get it?  Is it
> being heat shaped?
>
> I have a set of knees and elbows made of some dark black plastic that are
> really sturdy, and which I suspect were heat-shaped.  I have some really
> nifty A&S ideas that would involve using this type of plastic as molds and
> frameworks and stuff.  I'd really appreciate any information I can find
> about this type of plastic.
>
> Wassail,
>
> ::GUNNORA::
>
> Gunnora Hallakarva
> Herskerinde
> Ek eigi visa (th)ik hversu o(dh)lask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna
> heldr hversu na Hersis-A(dh)al

I don't know what the official name for the plastic is (I've heard it
called Kydex, but I'm not sure whether that's correct or not) but it's
obtained most commonly from 55 gallon barrels bought from any car
wash. They are used to transport the detergent so be sure to wash them
out thouroughly in a carwash bay (the easiest way)

The plastic is formed on of two ways that I know of. If there are
gentles who know of other ways please feel free to add those. Here is
how I have made shield baskets, elbows and knees, and other bits of
body armor.

Heat your kitchen stove to 350 degrees, fill your sink with cold
water, cut your plastic in the desired shape, and place it in the
oven. WATCH it until it begins to droop (sorry there is no exact time
to leave it in) Using leather work gloves pull out the plastic and
form it. "Quench" it in the sink until it regains it's original
rigidity and hardness. A Drill and sabre saw are sufficent to work the
material.

If you get black plastic it does a draned good job of imitating
leather courbuillie (sp?). See my klibanion that i wear on the field.
It definitely passes the 10 FT. rule.

A heat gun from Walmart or your local hardware store for about $20 can
also be used to heat and form the plastic. It takes only about 5 min.
to heat it suficiently to form. Use the heat gun on small details and
the oven for big overall pieces.