Plastic Gauntlets

R o W robertwestmar at juno.com
Mon Oct 14 20:11:34 PDT 1996

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:57:23 -0500 dennis guy grace
<amazing at mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>Lyonel here again.
>At 12:07 PM 10/14/96 -0500, Gnith wrote:
>Well, this will probably generate a number of disagreements, but I
>strongly
>recommend that you NOT use lightweight materials such as plastic,
>leather,
>or aluminum for your gauntlets.  I know it's not against the rules,
>but I
>wish it were.  As with your helmet, part of the protection afforded by
>gauntlets rests in their ability to absorb momentum--i.e., their mass.
> With
>gauntlets, to a certain degree, mass is good.
>I got into a huge argument over this with Viscount Sir Aveloc the
>Young,
>currently residing in An Tir a few years back.  He claimed to have
>been
>using his leather gauntlets for X number of years without injury and
>suggested that my conjectures were insulting.  Not long after that, he
>got
>his hands broken in an Artemisian coronet list.  Now he uses steel.
>Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace_______________________
>Dennis G. Grace
>Assistant Instructor
>Division of Rhetoric and Composition
>University of Texas at Austin

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH!!!   those of us that learned with welders gloves
and crossguards (no basket hilts) know the true meaning of PAIN.   I have
many broken fingers.  Big deal!    It hurt less than the Rodeo bulls I
was riding previously.
   Sir Robert