Heralds

steveo at nexus-3.flash.net steveo at nexus-3.flash.net
Fri Oct 18 11:37:31 PDT 1996

> Date:          Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:03:54 -0500 (CDT)
> To:            ansteorra at eden.com
> From:          zarazena at io.com (Vicki Marsh)
> Subject:       Re: Heralds

> Greetings from Zara Zina

-snip-

> I have noticed of late that some of the heralds jump to conclusions based on
> *their* interpretation of a submission, and that knowledge of one particular
> style of naming practices and heraldry makes them an expert on all types of
> naming practices and heraldry.  Even when presented with documentation of
> differing types of these, some are quite slow in admitting their lack of
> knowledge in that particular area, even to the point of totally discounting
> the documentation.
>
>  Rather than backing up their arguments with sources, some of the consulting
> heralds have been resorting to rather subjective criticism in the Gazette,
> often critisizing the person's taste rather than their heraldry. I feel that
> "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  I personally would not want a fat
> frog on my device, but someone else may think it is the most wonderful thing
> in the world.  If the device/name is heraldically correct and adheres to the
> rules set forth by the College of Heralds, then what right does a herald
> have to say that a device is ugly?
>
> It is hard on the local heralds who are really trying to do a good job and
> put in the submissions for their group.
>
> Thank you,
>
> (I will now get off my soapbox for the day and wait for the thrown objects)
>
> Zara Zina, Baroness of Elfsea, it's Cantons of Dun na Loch Ruadh,
> Dragonsfire Tor, and the incipient College of Three Bridges
>
> Speaking as a herald, I agree with Her Excellency. It is very easy
to slip into this habit and imho is something every herald should be
careful about. If  it meets the rules of the CoH it is not up to us
to judge what is ugly. I do think it is important to point aout
positives and remark when a submission is good heraldry, rather than
just acceptable under the rules. I think the point is importtant
enough that I am cross posting her excellencies post along with my
response to the Ansteorran herald's mailing list.

H. L. Steffan of the Tall Pines