Wearing of religious jewelry

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Oct 25 01:13:16 PDT 1996

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Vicki Marsh <zarazena at io.com> wrote:
> >>Diarmuit wrote:
> >A cross or crucifix designed to be worn over the "Pectoral region"
> >(i.e., the chest), traditionally as a sign of ecclesiastical office.
>
> One of the reasons that I don't wear that style anymore.  My
> research has shown that if a cross was worn, it was generally either
> a small one worn next to the heart, or suspended from a belt.

Interesting!

I got a cross a few Pennsics ago.  They said it was from a period
stone mold for a pilgrim's badge.  Actually, it has five crosses on
it, and the edge says "+SIGNUM:SADCECRVCiSDEWALThAM", which is Latin
for "My father confessor saw the Holy Cross at Waltham Abbey and all I
got was this lousy site token".  Well, more or less.  (Yes "SADCTE",
not "SANCTE".)

I've been wearing it as a pectoral cross.  Was I sold a proverbial
piece of the True Cross, not actually of a type used in period?  They
*seemed* reliable, but I couldn't really check ...  Was it perhaps
supposed to be worn elsewhere?

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel