music: Tam Lin & Thomas the Rhymer

Vicki Marsh zarazena at io.com
Mon Oct 28 18:06:36 PST 1996

Dear Heather
>Kind gentles--
>  I have for many months sought to learn the tunes to these two ballads.
>(I have one for Tam Lin which serves me but poorly.) Would anyone in the
>Plano or Denton areas be able to help me? My deepest thanks!

I *know* I have seen the music to those two, but can't locate it at the
present.  Have you checked into any of the Child Ballad books?  I don't have
any here at home, and my copy of Thomas the Rhymer seems to have taken legs
and walked off. Anyway, that might give you a place to start.

I'll keep looking.

If any of you are interested in any period Chrismas music, our Bardic guild
is currently using "The Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols", Ed. by Hugh
Keyte and Andrwew Parrott, Oxford University Press, 1993 ISBN 0-19-353324-3,
and it has been available new, at Half-Price Books in Arlington for $7.98.

It is pretty good, although we have found a few discrepencies in
interpretation when compared with a copy of the Piae Cantiones.

In service to the Muse,

Zara Zina