Using the Web for Documentation?

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Tue Oct 29 16:26:31 PST 1996

<gunnora at bga.com (Gunnora Hallakarva)>
>>...use, if anyone critiques your style standards in an A&S competition...
>DO NOT ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO BADMOUTH THE JUDGES!!! THEY DO IT JUST FINE
>ALREADY!! AND IN SOME CASES WHETHER THEY HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON OR NOT!! (No
>insult intended Diarmuit, but sometimes judging A&S is like swimming wit
>piranha anyway! Whew! Now that I got that over with!)

Thank you, but I am perfectly aware of how difficult it can be to judge
A&S, particularly since there ARE no established standards.  However,
since I've been chewed out, or worse, ignored, when I've even *suggested*
establishing such guidelines I don't really have a lot of sympathy for the
difficulties of other judges any longer.  Being criticized is a risk I take
when I accept judging other people's work -- Hell, being criticized is a
risk I take whenever I open my mouth.  I am realistic enough to know that
sometimes people will get their knickers in a knot even though I have tried
to be reasonable and fair in my judging.  But if I worry about how to keep
people from criticizing me (other than utilizing a modicum of social curtesy)
then I will be too concerned to express my opinions and judgements honestly.
And I take a number of pains to express the truth as I see it.

Diarmuit