Computer Programs for Costume Designers

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Oct 4 08:24:12 PDT 1996

Here's another of those interesting tidbits from the Historical Costuming
newsgroup.

Wassail!
::GUNNORA::
===================================
Date:    Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:49:07 -0500
From:    Sheryl Nance-Durst <P_SHERYL at KCPL.LIB.MO.US>
Subject: Re: "Costume Design for Dummies"

>I am a theatre tech student majoring in costuming, and have a question no
>one has been able to give me a clear answer on.  Sometime back I heard a
>rumour that there was an IBM program out there that could be used for
>designing costume.

Sharon,

There are a number of software packages designed for the home sewer that
might work.  Check out http://www.hk.super.net/~rlowe/sew.html
It's a page listing most of these packages with comments on them & links
to places where you can download free demos of them.  If you are specifically
looking for something designed for the theatre, then I only know of one
software package.  It's called "B Famous on Stage".  The web page for it is
http://www.newstuff.com/
I haven't used any of them myself, but I imagine that at least one of these
programs would be useful to you.

To the person who mentioned "Fittingly Sew": I was under the impression that
the company that developed this is no longer selling it.  Did another company
pick it up? I was thinking about buying it, but they discontinued it before
I could make up my mind.  :(

Sheryl J. Nance-Durst                   ...one of the secret masters of
Kansas City MO Public Library           the world: a librarian. They
p_sheryl at kcpl.lib.mo.us                 control information. Don't ever
                                        p**s one off.
                                          - Spider Robinson,
                                            _The Callahan Touch_

(Opinions expressed in this message do not reflect the viewpoint of
the Kansas City MO Public Library.)

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde