Viking Drinking Vessels

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Fri Oct 4 08:55:56 PDT 1996

<gunnora at mailserv.bga.com>
>...the Vikings sometimes made actual canteens out of horn...

Please tell me where I can see these.  Preferably in the original.

>attached, but I'm guessing that they were sewn with sinew and glued, and
>then "caulked" with brewer's pitch....

Depending on what sort of "glue" was used, caulking mightn't be needed.

>kasa), a type of bowl used primarily for ale.  These bowls have a handle on
>either side (a modern survival is the "loving cup" type of trophy)...

There's a sort of Scottish cup that is similar as well (often made of shaped
horn)

I. Marc Carlson, Reference Librarian    |LIB_IMC at CENTUM.UTULSA.EDU
Tulsa Community College, West Campus LRC|Sometimes known as:
Reference Tech. McFarlin Library        | Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
University of Tulsa, 2933 E. 6th St.    | University of Northkeep
Tulsa, OK  74104-3123 (918) 631-3794    | Northkeepshire, Ansteorra