Plastic Gauntlets

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 14 21:31:22 PDT 1996

Sir Robert wrote:

>OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH!!!   those of us that learned with welders gloves
>and crossguards (no basket hilts) know the true meaning of PAIN.   I have
>many broken fingers.  Big deal!    It hurt less than the Rodeo bulls I
>was riding previously.

My first SCA weapon was a tachi with a two-inch-thick tsuba; my gauntlets
were a very old hockey gloves.  Every shot to a major knuckle managed to
splay the padding just enough for sword to strike flesh.  I didn't object so
much to the pain as to my inability to grip a sword with all those new and
alien joints added to my fingers by the blows.  Likewise, in the example I
cited of Sir Aveloc's unfortunate coronet list experience, I believe he was
more upset at losing the last round than over the pain and swelling.  Of
course, if he could have kept a grip on the sword, the outcome might've been
a bit different.

I must admit to some degree of confusion yet, cousin.  I grant that your
experiences suggest a greater tolerance of pain than I enjoy, but I fail to
see how more faith could improve that tolerance. :-)

Yours in Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
_______________________
Dennis G. Grace
Assistant Instructor
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
University of Texas

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)