apple presses

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Thu Oct 17 07:43:21 PDT 1996

On 16 Oct 1996, Mark Harris wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Pug said:
>
> >Hopefully this time next year I'll have a press to make my own ciders
> >instead of having to buy it.
>
> Are you going to be making or buying this press?
>
> I can remember trying to use a blender to get the juice out of the
> apples. I ended up having to add so much water to make this work at
> all that what I got out was way too diluted.
>
> I have considered a press in the past, but decided just to buy the
> juice since I wouldn't use the press that much.
>
> Is this press going to be a vertical screw type? Or some other?
>
> The one disadvantage I can see to buying the fresh fruit and
> juicing it is that you are buying prime, top of the line fruit for
> this. It was my impression that both today and in period the
> bruised or otherwise less than prime fruit ended up in juice unless
> there was a surplus that you couldn't use any other way.
>
> But perhaps the extra expense is not that much for what you are
> getting in the way of no prservatives and natural yeasts.
>
> Comments, anyone?

Well, you could come up to extereme south Calontir the first weekend of
Oct. next year and see what you can find at the Lincoln AR Appple
Festival.  It seems, however, that if one looks, it is possible to find
fruit stands that sell positively divine apples (oh, SIGH!!) by the
bushel, the real apples God intended, not those hulking mutanats from
Washington State.

Concord vinyards and apple orchards, I'm going to miss this place...

Kateryn