Football pants

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Fri Oct 18 10:18:41 PDT 1996

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

>         Over the armored pants I'd put a cosmetic pair of somewhat loose
> breeches in a medium-weight (at least) fabric, appropriate for the persona,
> and at least an inch or so longer than the bottom of the knee.  This would
> hide the armoring nicely and let the overall appearance be better, while
> still possibly providing superior leg/kne/groin protection.

Suggestion from a seamstress who is from a looong line of seamstresses and
also fought heavy for a time.

1) I would go with the heavy-weight fabric myself.  I would call mundane
women's jeans middle-weight, and the ability to stand up to stress is
disappointing.  If one must go with a middle-to-light weight fabric, it
would be well advised to coat the edges of the plates or tape them over or
some such to reduce friction.

2) Make *sure* that while you make your trousers roomier around the thigh,
you do not make the mistake of dropping the rise (crotch length for you
uninitiated).  A bit of extra length in the rise can be a good thing, but
too much will restrict your movement.

My personal reccomendation for fighting trousers is the Folkwear pattern
with the African trousers (will get the name and number at home this
weekend).  Very simple, fairly narrow, easily altered, and shaped with a
long gusset instead of a curved seam.  I am very partial to mine, and my
husband likes his.

Headed for where the Bison Ran,
Kateryn