Heralds

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Fri Oct 18 13:21:35 PDT 1996

Heilsa all Folk of this Kingdom...

Kief here...again...

Zara Zina, Her Excellency of Elfsea exclaimed:

>Greetings from Zara Zina
>
>I have noticed of late that some of the heralds jump to conclusions based on
>*their* interpretation of a submission, and that knowledge of one particular
>style of naming practices and heraldry makes them an expert on all types of
>naming practices and heraldry.  Even when presented with documentation of
>differing types of these, some are quite slow in admitting their lack of
>knowledge in that particular area, even to the point of totally discounting
>the documentation.

I concur...

> Rather than backing up their arguments with sources, some of the consulting
>heralds have been resorting to rather subjective criticism in the Gazette,
>often critisizing the person's taste rather than their heraldry. I feel that
>"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  I personally would not want a fat
>frog on my device, but someone else may think it is the most wonderful thing
>in the world.  If the device/name is heraldically correct and adheres to the
>rules set forth by the College of Heralds, then what right does a herald
>have to say that a device is ugly?

Subjective criticism was an increasing problem in the College of Heralds for
many years... During my tenure as Principal Herald I strove to reverse the
trend. Going so far as to have "subjective criticism" edited from the Gazette.
The practice of attacking the person rather than the appropriateness of the
submission is an ugly habit that has no place in the College...

>It is hard on the local heralds who are really trying to do a good job and
>put in the submissions for their group.
>
>Thank you,
>
>(I will now get off my soapbox for the day and wait for the thrown objects)
>
>Zara Zina, Baroness of Elfsea, it's Cantons of Dun na Loch Ruadh,
>Dragonsfire Tor, and the incipient College of Three Bridges

I agree with you cousin... Well said...!

Sir Kief, Baron Raven's Fort (ret.)

"Better the Hammer than the nail..."