Ansteopality

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 18 21:21:53 PDT 1996

Sir Lyonel here and oops oops oops.  I said:

>> Sounds like an excellent attitude to me.  If it isn't fun, I don't want to
>> do it either.  We can erect signs at the borders:  ENTERING THE PRINCIPALITY
>> OF ********:  PLEASE LEAVE YOUR POLITICS AT THE GATE.

And Baroness Mari replied:

>Alright, now I must speak most seriously.  Word has come that Their
>Majesties will be attending our 20th Baronial Jubilee.  It is their wish,
>desire and, yea, their ORDER, that a sign, reading much like the above,
>along with a trash can in which to dispose of such contraband, be
>positioned at the gate at our upcoming event.  Sigh.  Now personally, I
>don't see the need.  It's like having a sign saying "WELCOME TO PHOENIX:
>PLEASE LEAVE YOUR ALLIGATORS AT THE BORDER."  But Their Majesties desire
>this thing, and since it is but a trifling matter to put such a thing
>together -- Seraphina could probably raise an eyebrow skyward and one
>would appear in a beam of light -- it shall be done.  What I don't want
>to hear is: "Hey, look at that sign!  They stole that idea from Sir
>Lyonell!" or worse: "Hey, look at that sign!  They stole that idea from
>Sir Lyonell!  THEY MUST THINK THEY'RE A PRINCIPALITY!!!"  Sigh.  I'm
>rambling now, it's late, I think I'll just be going.  But anyway, when
>you see the sign, it's the Crown's fault.

Oh My BoD!  I have inadvertently plagiarized the Queen!

She told me about the sign some weeks ago over the telephone, but I mis-
understood this to be SOP for major Bjornsborg events.  I thought I was just
co-opting a fine idea from our good neighbors in Bjornsborg.  A thousand
apologies to Her Majesty, and my thanks to Baroness Mari for clarifying this
most egregious faux pas.

Yours in Virtual Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Baron, Thegn, OP
Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)