Latin Translation, Please?

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Oct 21 09:13:25 PDT 1996

>Greetings to all.
>
>Would anyone out there be able to help me with a translation into Latin,
>please?  I would like the following phrase translated and simply don't
>have the knowledge (or the time, currently) to do so myself:
>
>This, too, shall pass.
Heilsa, Margaret!

I'll take a swing at it.  Try:   Hic quoque transiet.

I also have a collection of short Latin phrases, painfully learned in
school, that I think would make good mottoes for folks who may be shopping
for one.  Here they are:

Vestis virum reddit. (Clothes make the man).

Veritatem dies aperit. (Time discloses the truth).

Veritas numquam perit. (Truth never dies).

Vitam regit Fortuna, non sapientia. (Fortune rules our lives, not wisdom).

Vincit imitationem veritas. (Truth conquers imitation).

Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur. (A sure friend is discovered in an
unsure situation).

Numquam periculum sine periculo vincitur. (Danger is never conquered without
danger).

Nemo sine vitio est. (No one is without flaw).

Sapientia vino obumbratur. (Wisdom is overshadowed by wine).

Mens regnum bona possidet. (A noble mind possesses a kingdom).

Habet suum venenum blanda oratio. (Smooth speech has its own poison).

Fortes Fortuna adjuvat. (Fortune favors the brave).

Fortuna fortes metuit, ignavos premit. (Fortune fears the brave and crushes
the cowardly).

Stulti timent Fortunam, sapientes ferunt. (The foolish fear Fortune, the
wise endure her).

Ducunt volentem Fata, nolentum trahunt. (the Fates guide the willing and
drag the unwilling).

Parva leves capiunt animos. (Small things capture frivolous minds).

Certa stant omnia lege. (All things stand under a fixed law).

Oculi sunt in amore duces. (The eyes are leaders in love).

Justus, fortis, patiens. (Just, brave, and patient).

Ars longa, vita brevis.  (Life is brief, but Art endures).

Ira furor brevis est. (Anger is brief insanity).

Forma bonum fragile est. (Good form is fragile).

Leges sine moribus vanae. (Laws without morals are empty).

Vox audita perit, litteras scripta manet. (The spoken word vanishes, the
written word remains).

In virtute posita vera felicitas. (True happiness is places in virtue).

Qui pro innocente dicit satis est eloquens. (Who speaks for the innocent is
eloquent enough).

Deo, Regi, Patriae. (God, King, Country)

Artes serviunt vitae, sapienta imperat. (Education serves our life, wisdom
commands it).

Malitia ipsa maximam partem veneni sui bibit. (Malice itself drinks the
largest part of its own poison).

Gloria unmbra virtutis est. (Glory is the shadow of virtue).

Gravis ira regum est semper. (The anger of kings is always serious).

Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit. (No mortal is wise at all hours).

Fortitudo est domina et regina virtutem. (Courage is the mistress and queen
of all virtues).

Auribus teneo lupum. (I have the wolf by the ears).

Effugere non potes necessitates; vincere potes. (You can't escape necessity,
but you can conquer it).

Hodie mihi, cras tibi. (Today is mine, tomorrow is yours). colloq for
"You'll get yours"

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.  (I will either find a way or make one).

Veritas vos liberabit. (The truth shall set you free).

Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consummavi, fidem servavi. (I have fought the
good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith).

Nil sine magno vita labore dedit mortalibus. (Life has given nothing to
mortals without great labor).

Quod non dedit Fortuna, non eripuit. (What Fortune does not give, she cannot
take away).

Aut amat aut odit: nil est tertium. (Love or hate: there is no third course).

Wassail!

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde