Whine, whine, whine

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Wed Oct 23 03:46:10 PDT 1996

Heilsa William...

Kief here...

For what it's worth... Well Come to the SCA...!

>   I am a rank newbie. Been playing for a little over 6 months. I don't
>understand why people like to throw flames and rumors around. Is it a lust
>for power? Is it just plain spite? I see nothing honorable about it, and it
>really seems to be a big problem. Sir Lyonel, I am not by any means
>suggesting that you are one of these people. I am wondering however (I figger
>you gots a white belt, you must be doing something right. Or at least done
>something right at one time or another) if you could explain to me why people
>in the Society seem to be as much or more anxious to step on their fellow
>SCAdians for (this is the only reason *I* can think of) rank, honors, awards,
>whatnot.

In a lot of cases the flames, insults, rumors and other such are the result of
"personality conflicts". I am as guilty as many other on here...*sigh*

Also, my new friend, the computer allows all of us a "first strike/hair
trigger" mentality on any issue. It's so damned easy to whip off a letter, post
it...and then regret it for the rest of our lives... Snail mail has a good bit
of saving grace in this respect... One has to write the letter...then get ready
to mail it...then, if they are smart, re-read it and edit... Saves a lot of
pain and friendship loss...

>   I figure I'm going to get pounded for this and that's fine. I am really
>frustrated by two problems I see at the events I go to... While all you
>older, more experienced, nobility types are pounding, help me understand why:

Well...you're not going to get pounded by me...

>   1. Vicious rumor mongering is such a widespread, almost uncontrollable
>problem

Rumors are a part of human society... However, we do strive to live up to
certain ideals in the SCA. The problem is we're also human... Rumors are
controlable...a suitable application of wisdom, knowledge, facts, and a closed
mouth are the usual solutions...

>   2. Society members are so ready to crush others reputations with little or
>no thought to what they are doing.

Some Society members do bad things... But by no means do all engage in this
behavior pattern... Normal human emotion is involved... None of us are perfect.
But, we do need to try harder at keeping our tongues, pens, and keyboards under
a tad bit better control...

>   3. I go to events and see people with all kinds of awards and "danglees"
>walking about between courts and lists and things talking about the football
>game, or what they watched on TV last Thursday, or (this gets my "Best
>Cringe" award) what we did when my unit went to the field last week.

Yep...happens all the time. I guess it's for the same reason that a lot of folk
will not move their car to the parking areas for _any_ reason... Again, we
should all strive to better our actions, speech, and dress at events... I guess
that it's just that after a time old friends like to catch up on "real world"
items and forget what we're trying to achieve.

>   And also, what can *I* do to help solve this problem. I see enough of this
>that it seems we are nothing but people walking around in funny clothing all
>weekend to fight with sticks/car antennas and then go get drunk at some party
>around the fire. I'm at a loss. What should I do?  Sir Lyonel? Anybody?

Good point William... So folks, how about it. Are we just people walking around
in funny clothes, whipping wires and pulverizing rattan logs on our friends
heads? Are we just common drunks and lechers out to party at any cost? I
certainly hope not...

What you can do, William, is be the best SCA'er that you can be. Set an example
for some of us "old and older" folk... Gather people around you of like mind
and build your own "Dream" Don't be discouraged by foolish men and women that
sometimes lose sight of what we got into this wonderful hobby for... Make it
real for yourself and your friends... Maybeso we'll recapture what some of us
seem to have forgotten...

>William the Warthog
>Cringing from the beating he is sure will soon be upon him...

In silence I sit and ponder the loss of dreams and idealism...

Sir Kief av Kiersted, Baron Raven's Fort, Lion...

"Better the Hammer than the nail..." (I feel like I've just been hammered
myself...*sigh*)