Whine, whine, whine

Burke McCrory bmccrory at mercury.oktax.state.ok.us
Fri Oct 25 10:18:58 PDT 1996

At 10:08 AM 10/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings all!
>>Vicki Marsh wrote in a message to All:
>
>I do have a question of you and other heralds?  As a new Territorial
>Baron/ness, I understand that my husband and I can develop new
>non-armigerous Baronial awards.  What is your feeling about them?  Are they
>listed in the OP? I know these have to be submitted for approval.

These awards in my experience are a strictly local matter.  I think they
serve a very useful purpose in helping to recognize and foster peoples good
work.  The need to run them through the heralds for conflict seems a very
reasonable limitation, otherwise I would think that they are strictly a
matter between the local Baron/ess and their populace.  Some groups might
need more encouragement than others.  I also think that these awards should
not be announced in any SCA court outside of the Barony as the awards hold
no precedence outside of the Barony.

>Also, what about personal awards like House MountainGate's "RingThegns"? Or
>Baron Robert Simon Fraser's "Baron's Chalice".  Should these be submitted to
>the herald's office? I liked these (I am a RingThegn) and haven't seen very
>many like them.

This is like House Wolfstars Silver Wolf, it should be and is a matter
strictly between the members of the household.  The recognition should not
be announced in any SCA court as the awards are not sanction by the SCA.

>Thank you.
>
>Zara Zina

Burke McCrory
Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald