Using the Web for Documentation?

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Fri Oct 25 10:57:54 PDT 1996

<Sigrid<SusanKFord at aol.com>>
>What are your opinions and suggestions on using the Web for documentation?
>Have you seen it cited as a source yet?

I've even cited it as a source.

As a rule, however, there is very little on the WWW that can not be
found elsewhere, in some other format that has a bit better control over
its authority.  The majority of what currently exists on the web has
minimal content, and is maximized to suck you in and give you a very
brief synopsis of the material.  Therefore, with very few exceptions,
I would classify documentation from the Web as being akin to citing
encyclopedias.  In other words, it's a great place to get a short definition
for something, but you run some serious risks if you cite it (back track
THEIR sources and check them out).

If it is a source that exists nowhere else, or is just dripping with
content, then *maybe*.

I. Marc Carlson, Reference Librarian    |LIB_IMC at CENTUM.UTULSA.EDU
Tulsa Community College, West Campus LRC|Sometimes known as:
Reference Tech. McFarlin Library        | Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
University of Tulsa, 2933 E. 6th St.    | University of Northkeep
Tulsa, OK  74104-3123 (918) 631-3794    | Northkeepshire, Ansteorra