[SCA-CHR] ASCAP Backs Down! (fwd)

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Sun Sep 1 18:54:49 PDT 1996

(snipping)

> Heilsa, All!
>
>         You know, this is a really silly worry, I have never heard
> ASCAP-type stuff performed at an SCA event.  If people in the SCA would
> confine themselves to singing period music or music appropriate to a period
> atmosphere, we would pretty much be avoiding the ASCAP music altogether.
> This is just another reason to take some time to either write your own
> stuff, or learn a period tune!
>
> ::GUNNORA::

Gunnora, I hate to take the wind out of your sails, BUT
Did you know that to perform a work in public can be considered
copyrightable?  The copyright rules are truly amazing things, and an
aspect of my mundane job that I have been putting off much too long
(because I don't have a job in my field) For instance:  my father is the
soundman for the orchestra in my hometown, and always tapes performances
for archival purposes.  We later learned that this is an evil thing to do,
not because the ocnductor objects (he doesn't), but sometimes because the
guest artist objects.  Never mind the fact that royalties have been paid
to have the music performed (and if it is rented music, it is paid right
through the nose), some artists don't want the performance recorded in any
way, shape, or form, royalties, permission, or strictly archival for the
conductor to study.  It would be child's play for a serious bard to apply
this to a signature work(s) in the SCA.  With all the recording happening,
it can be very difficult to know what is "free" music under the current
rules.  Due to certain trends in the composing of 20th cent. music, many
old slices of music are being reincorporated.  Due to the musical
practices of Orthodox, Epsicopal, and Catholic services, most all
painsong/chant can be ruled out, as they had to get permission to put
these in their hymnals.

You either write all your own, or sing what you want and pray.

As for me, I have a long way to go before I can easily buck my Common
Practice habits, so I subscribe to the second.

ASCAP/BMI would be pretty darn desperate to bust the SCA, however, but no
one
really needs to mention we exist to either organisation and distract them
from persecuting broke music departments

Kateryn Heathrydge
mka
Catherine Dunlap, music teacher