Craft Note: Linen Thread

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Sun Sep 1 21:53:29 PDT 1996

I just ran across something really odd about Linen thread, and felt
I had to share it.  When "making" waxed thread from unwaxed thread, if
you dip the unwaxed cord in water for a second, it unravels into the
individual threads a LOT easier, and once separated, dries in a few
minutes, without the twisting in the threads.  Then waxing them and
rewinding them is a breeze.

BTW, I have recently learned that I was in error in repeating the statement
that water weakens linen thread.  I suspect that it is the unprotected
stresses and pressures of walking on the threads that cause some shoe
threads to fray and fall apart.  OTOH, continually wet thread may rot.

Ah well, live and learn...

I. Marc Carlson, Reference Librarian    |LIB_IMC at CENTUM.UTULSA.EDU
Tulsa Community College, West Campus LRC|Sometimes known as:
Reference Tech. McFarlin Library        | Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
University of Tulsa, 2933 E. 6th St.    | University of Northkeep
Tulsa, OK  74104-3123 (918) 631-3794    | Northkeepshire, Ansteorra