principalities....

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Wed Sep 18 02:06:18 PDT 1996

Greetings to all Right and Good Ansteorrans!

Sir Kief here...

Angus wrote:

>Though, what Baron Jeremy said last night during our (Bryn Gwlad's)
>business meeting rings true: The Kingdom of Ansteorra is coming to a point
>where is will be forced to split into principalities. (What has just been
>said has been duelly <SP?> paraphrased)

I disagree. The Kingdom can _not_ be forced to split. Unless the populace wants
the Kingdom to split it _cannot_ happen.

>I see what Jeremy has said as being true. But (I'm full of but's and
>though's today ;-) I also see that the reasons for this movement that TRM
>and the Kingdom Seneschal are trying to get started are not necessarily the
>reasons that should be listed. The issue of dropping or decreasing the
>amount of paperwork seems to be a dream that will never come to pass, which
>seems to be _THE_ issue. During the meeting last night, listening to
>members of the populace that have gone through changes of this magnetude, I
>learned that the paperwork issue will be the same if not worse until the
>Kingdom splits off to form other kingdoms. The Kingdom Seneschal will be
>getting the same amount of paperwork, just it will be coming from _3_
>principalities instead of _5_ regions.

Correct, The amount of paperwork will still be there...UNLESS the amount of
REQUIRED PAPERWORK IS LESSENED. This would solve a _lot_ of problems. This
solution is viable, we need to combine some forms and eliminate others.

>Instead, we should be looking for other issues that will benefit the
>Kingdom. Issues like the fact that instead of _one_ crown there will be
>_one_ crown and _three_ coronets visiting and holding court at one time.

I disagree! This so-called solution will create a _nightmare_ for the sitting
Crown. Think on this... One of the problems is that the Crown needs must
travel extensively during Their Reign. So, now you have THREE principalities.
This means that EACH Crown will have to attend THREE Coronet Tourneys, THREE
Coronet Investitures, perhaps THREE principality A&S events, THREE principality
Warlord events, as well as Their Own MAJOR Kingdom events. Also, any BARONIAL
Investitures, etc. etc. Folks, the travel burden of the Crown will INCREASE!

>The princes and princesses will have fewer holdings to visit, thus giving
>the smaller shires, cantons and colleges of having a royal court at one of
>their events. It will remove alot of the stress and strain from the Crown
>to be everywhere at once. They will not feel as if They are neglecting
>Their people of Their smaller holdings because They cannot attend their
>events.

There is a real, do-able solution to this problem. It's NOT principalities.
Try this idea out for size.

Within each 18 month period there are 3 Crowns, also 3 Crown Heirs... This is
equal to 12 (twelve) people. Set up a Rotating Group Schedule that let's the
responsibility of visiting every group in the Kingdom fall equally amoung each
set of Crowns and Their Heirs. There are currently 42 groups in the Kingdom
(listed in the _Black Star_). There are 78 weekends in each 18 month period.
Let's call it 74 weekends editing major holidays out. Each 6 month period the
Reigning Crown and Their Heirs would only have to visit 14 groups between them.
(There are 'bout 24 weekends <excluding major holidays> in each 6 month period)
Let each Crown and Their Heirs have a wide spread group list to visit during
Their Reign. This list rotates through the entire Kingdom in 18 months. _Many_
of these groups would be visited more than 3 times each in 18 months. _ALL OF
THEM_ would be visited at least once. The obligation to travel _everywhere_
would be removed from each Crown and many weekends would be freed for Their
mundane interests and travel to Their favorite groups.

NO NEED for Territorial Princes & Princesses...

>With the size of Ansteorra, the reality of principalities _IS_ there. There
>is not a kingdom of our size (geographically or population) that has not
>formed principalities.

The _size_ of the Kingdom is the same as it ever was. It's only the number of
groups that has increased. As to what the "other" Kingdoms do... That's there
business. We have no need to "Keep up with the Jones'"... Why should we "get
some principalities quick" just because "everybody else has some"...

The above solution addresses the problem of an increasing number of groups.

>Principalities will be taking shape in Ansteorra
>sooner or later. I think (I know, bring out the flame extinguishers ;-)
>that we, as a Kingdom, should begin the process off calmly looking over the
>issues involved in the creation of principalities. I am not saying, "Lets
>dive in and to H at ll with the results!" What I am saying is lets begin this
>process now, when the issue is not being forced down our throat by a
>faction of the populace that have a gripe with the Kingdom. The issues are
>before us. Lets rationally discuss them and their ramifications.

This is the process...(And I will _not_ flame you...*smile*) If a faction of
the populace has a gripe...then air it..speak your minds folks. Let's not
destroy all that has been built. This is ONE KINGDOM. Sure we have regional
differences, but we are all still Ansteorrans. Not members of principality X,
or principality Y, or principality Z... Ansteorrans.

>I love the Kingdom of Ansteorra. I love to see friends and aquaintences of
>mine wearing the black and gold tabards and displaying the Ansteorran Star.
>I love to, when at the end of a court, yell, "VIVAT, ANSTEORRA!" Like
>Caladin, it sends a wave of euforia that I would sorley <SP?> miss if I was
>part of another kingdom, be it a former holding of Ansteorra or otherwise.
>But it would be something far worse to see the Kingdom that I call home
>fracture and split because of conflict and strife than one that had come to
>an aggreement over the issues that face us now.

The Kingdom will not split if we all take part in making Ansteorra strong.

>The Kingdom of Ansteorra is magnificent. The poplace is varied and diverse.
>That makes us strong. Lets turn that strength to a useful endevour and
>discuss, debate and vote for or against this proposal as fits _you_.

I AGREE!

>In service to the Kingdom of Ansteorra.
>In service to the Dream.
>
>VIVAT ANSTEORRA!