principalities....

Rik Packham/Angus mac Taggart aquinas at eden.com
Wed Sep 18 09:10:13 PDT 1996

> From: stddly at SHSU.edu
> To: ANSTEORRA at eden.com
> Subject: principalities....
> Date: Wednesday, September 18, 1996 4:06 AM
>

> Sir Kief here...
>

> I disagree. The Kingdom can _not_ be forced to split. Unless the populace
wants
> the Kingdom to split it _cannot_ happen.

What I meant, but misspoke, was that I see if we do not begin the
conversations that are currently being said/wrote that the griefs and
gripes will remain buried and will burst forth and principalities _will_
take shape as factions leave the Ansteorran Star to set up their own
"Shattered Star". I know that there is no way to force a region into a
principality that it does _not_ want. I am talking about a faction or two
forcing the Kingdom to make the region of that faction into a principality.

> Correct, The amount of paperwork will still be there...UNLESS the amount
of
> REQUIRED PAPERWORK IS LESSENED. This would solve a _lot_ of problems.
This
> solution is viable, we need to combine some forms and eliminate others.

I whole-heartily agree!

> I disagree! This so-called solution will create a _nightmare_ for the
sitting
> Crown. Think on this... One of the problems is that the Crown needs must
> travel extensively during Their Reign. So, now you have THREE
principalities.
> This means that EACH Crown will have to attend THREE Coronet Tourneys,
THREE
> Coronet Investitures, perhaps THREE principality A&S events, THREE
principality
> Warlord events, as well as Their Own MAJOR Kingdom events. Also, any
BARONIAL
> Investitures, etc. etc. Folks, the travel burden of the Crown will
INCREASE!

I have never looked at the organizational structure of a kingdom with
principalities. After reading what you have sent, I see something that I
never gave a thought. This point is yours.

> Within each 18 month period there are 3 Crowns, also 3 Crown Heirs...
This is
> equal to 12 (twelve) people. Set up a Rotating Group Schedule that let's
the
> responsibility of visiting every group in the Kingdom fall equally amoung
each
> set of Crowns and Their Heirs. There are currently 42 groups in the
Kingdom
> (listed in the _Black Star_). There are 78 weekends in each 18 month
period.
> Let's call it 74 weekends editing major holidays out. Each 6 month period
the
> Reigning Crown and Their Heirs would only have to visit 14 groups between
them.
> (There are 'bout 24 weekends <excluding major holidays> in each 6 month
period)
> Let each Crown and Their Heirs have a wide spread group list to visit
during
> Their Reign. This list rotates through the entire Kingdom in 18 months.
_Many_
> of these groups would be visited more than 3 times each in 18 months.
_ALL OF
> THEM_ would be visited at least once. The obligation to travel
_everywhere_
> would be removed from each Crown and many weekends would be freed for
Their
> mundane interests and travel to Their favorite groups.

I see the logic behind this. But if this is a workable solution then why
has it not been brought up before? With all of the major events attended,
even with the help of the Heirs (which, as you well know, are not active
year round), will there be enough Crowns/Heirs to go around and attend all
of the branches in 18 months. It would definitely be cool if it would work,
but the logistics would be a nightmare.

> The _size_ of the Kingdom is the same as it ever was. It's only the
number of
> groups that has increased. As to what the "other" Kingdoms do... That's
there
> business. We have no need to "Keep up with the Jones'"... Why should we
"get
> some principalities quick" just because "everybody else has some"...

Actually, I was refuring <sp?> to the populace size, not the geographical
size. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

> This is the process...(And I will _not_ flame you...*smile*) If a faction
of
> the populace has a gripe...then air it..speak your minds folks. Let's not
> destroy all that has been built. This is ONE KINGDOM. Sure we have
regional
> differences, but we are all still Ansteorrans. Not members of
principality X,
> or principality Y, or principality Z... Ansteorrans.

I wish it were that simple. If it were, I expect world peace and a world
government would rule the day in the mundane world. But, coming from a
pessimistic stance, I expect that principalities will be in our,
Ansteorra's, future. Possibly future kingdoms from those principalities. I
wish that the ONE STAR could remain ONE KINGDOM. As I signed off last time,
I am ANSTEORRAN, even though I originally joined the Game in CAID.

> The Kingdom will not split if we all take part in making Ansteorra
strong.

Hopefully, you are correct. You do have my support in any attempt to make
the Kingdom of Ansteorra stronger and more unified.

> Sir Kief av Kiersted...
>
> "Better the Hammer than the nail..."

Lord Angus mac Taggart
Peregre abeo, circiter stato