Principalities, Opinions, and Personal Attacks

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Sep 24 20:00:51 PDT 1996

Heilsa, All, from Gunnora!

I just received an off-list post that said:

<snip>
> them.  I have been hearing that a couple of people are really upset about some
> of your posts on the principality thread.  Apparently they feel that some
of your
> comments are a personal attack or something.  <snip>

If these words don't apply to you, you need not read the comments below, but
if you are one of the anonymous peopel with a problem, please continue
reading, I pray you.

Please let all know that:

(1) All postings that I have made on this topic (Hel, all the posts I have
made, period) are in fact opinions.  No one has to agree with them.

(2) I stand by my opinions as posted until and unless I see sufficient
evidence that my opinion is incorrect, at which time I will happily revise
it.  If you don't like my opinion, you are certainly free to contact me,
either on the list or privately, e-mail, snail mail, telephone or in person,
and try to persuade me to your point of view using rational, reasoned
arguments.  You must however remember that on some items I may only be able
to agree to disagree in a civilized manner.

(3) I have not made any personal attacks on anyone, not even those who I
most strenuously disagree with (c.f. the interchanges between Viscount Galen
and I... which I think are on a civilized level of discourse!).  The purpose
of debate (and all communication) is the exchange of ideas.  Hopefully
through debate we will all learn something, and at some point it will become
obvious that there is a middle ground that we can all agree upon.  Some
people will always disagree with anything, but compromise is what makes real
life work.  If we cannot debate, we cannot arrive at a place where
compromise is possible.  BTW, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I am
blunter than a brick.  If I ever have a problem with you or your actions,
believe me I will let you know.  It's not always comfortable hearing these
from me, but you will have no doubts about how I feel or what I think you
should do about it.

(4) I do not realistically expect that all of my suggestions will be
followed, no matter whether we get principalities or not.  I have not only
sent my views in hardcopy to TRM, I have privately posted a number of
individuals on BOTH sides of the argument and urged them to do the same.  I
hope all of you will take the time to sit down, draft your opinions, wait 24
hours, revise them if necessary, then post the resulting document to the
Crown.  They cannot be expected to make good decisions on an issue that
affects so many people without our input.  That's why we were asked in the
first place.  I have no stake in "winning at any cost" in this debate ... I
want what is best for the whole kingdom.

(5) The ansteorra at eden.com list is a mundane activity wherein SCA topics are
discussed.  Real world rules, including First Amendment protection of free
speech prevail in this type of forum.

(6) MOST IMPORTANT:  If you are the person or persons who have a problem
with anything that I have said, you should contact me directly, via email,
snailmail, telephone or in person and SAY SO.  I can't guarantee an apology,
but I will happily discuss my viewpoint and why I made any particular
statement.  I have a MAJOR problem with the "snipe-ing" that all-too-often
goes on in the SCA.  If you have a beef, say it to my face.  If you can't do
that, then your complaint has no merit, or you lack the courage of your
convictions.  I'll say it again, communication makes the world go 'round,
even the Knowne Worlde.  Communicate!!  Talk to people directly when you
have problems with them!  Things cannot change without honest communication
between individuals.

Sincerely,

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva