Principalities & Awards

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Wed Sep 25 11:29:00 PDT 1996

Burke, ol' bean, yer slipping slightly:
> I believe all awards that contain kingdom precedence originate from the
> crown, which needs no permission to give awards to its subjects.

OK so far. The Crown can also delegate the actual presentation of most
"lesser" (Ly. Eleanor's recent AoA here in the Steppes: announced in court,
presented physically to the lady at business meeting.) The Crown cannot make
awards carrying precedence to individual subjects of "foreign" (SCA)
Kingdoms. (Current / recent case - and note this is only a thumbnail
description using the facts as I understand them - being that of Daniel de
Lincoln's Oak "not taking" due to mundane change of residence to the
Midrealm.)

> As to Principality awards that are non-precedential, I don't think that
the
> coronet of one principality would need to approval of another.  If
approval
> was required they could simple get the crown to give it.

Multiple points here:
1) Principality-level awards occasionally *do* carry Kingdom-level
precedence (any armigerous award, others according to Law & Custom or
Kingdom history. Remember what happened to Principality of Ansteorra orders,
and the PILA household designations?)

Even long-closed orders, regardless of level at which they were awarded AND
including many non-precedence-bearing awards, are listed in a full and
complete Order of Precedence.

2) Technically, the Coronet of P. A would require Coronet of P. B approval
in order to make an A award to a resident of B - that *may* only be for
awards carrying formal precedence, however, and reflects my understanding of
current award presentation limitations at the level of Kingdoms.

3) Approval of the Crown in such inter-Principality cases might actually
require amendment or extension of Kingdom (and related Principality) Law,
and would only apply to Principalities within the same Kingdom (except, of
course, as governed by treaties, agreements, Corpora, and custom).

Aww, heck: you & I know that Ansteorrans collectively will work out the
details in the long run. We'll all moan & complain & kvetch through the
process, immediately and afterward and beforehand. "Could be fun!"

<humor alert, for the humor-impaired; yes, the following is an "in-joke">
Is it time to drag out the bounded infinities discussion group again?

"The preceding exchange brought to you in part by the Kerr - Drummond
Cafeteria Bounded Infinties Dinner Discussion Partnership Group. Any
relationship to a serious discussion is probably a figment of your own
perceptual reality, and will not be held against you in the court of
existence unless you really want it to be. In the words of the most-senior
founding member of the Group, 'QUICK! Kill it before it multiplies!'"
<the humor alert is now cancelled>

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!