[SCA-CHR] ASCAP Backs Down! (fwd)

Laura McKinstry dalm at why.net
Mon Sep 2 06:40:46 PDT 1996

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

>         You know, this is a really silly worry, I have never heard
> ASCAP-type stuff performed at an SCA event.  If people in the SCA would
> confine themselves to singing period music or music appropriate to a period
> atmosphere, we would pretty much be avoiding the ASCAP music altogether.
> This is just another reason to take some time to either write your own
> stuff, or learn a period tune!

Actually, my concern is whether I can sing a couple of songs from the
Kingdom of Trimaris at a DeMolay Cotillion - as I'm not getting paid,
it's likely to be moot, but my understanding is that, since the songs
were recently written, and might have been written by a member of ASCAP,
I had better contact the originator of the music.

Sone of our songs ARE written by us, to record our current middle ages
in a properly historic manner (ie: it's what they did then, therefor
it's what we should be doing now.)  These are the songs we need concern
ourselves with.

And there are those who sing "traditional" songs as well as period
songs, and some "traditional" songs are actually very recent.

Laura McKinstry
Lark of Cire Freunlaven
Steppes