Principalities

Lori Jones LJONES at bashful.ossm.edu
Mon Sep 16 15:19:51 PDT 1996

>>I was also under the impression that the proposed principalities
>>would only be "Crown Principalities"... for the purpose of
>>better administration (not for a coronet list).

>I don't understand how more official 3 principalities for administrative
>purposes would be any more official than the 5 regions we now have.

My speculation is that they think having an actual Medieval name
and Principality officers would carry more weight than the title
"Regional officer".  I have heard it said that one of the primary
concerns is for the growing size and complication of the Kingdom
Calendar.  I guess the theory behind it is, if we had three
principalities, then no one need feel obligated to participate in the
other principality's activities.

>>To my knowledge this idea hasn't been formalized in a written
>>proposal - maybe this would be a good thing to suggest to the "powers
>>that be".
>Announcing it in a court is as about as formal as the SCA can get beyound
>a formal poll.

Who announced it in what court?  (I'm not doubting you, I would just
like to know).
Neither Inman, nor the Crown went to Stargate Baronial last weekend,
and I thought the issue would have come up sooner if it had been
announced at Bryn Gwlad.

>On this one the crown should have at least informed all the seneschals
>and Landeds in writing at once.

I agree.

>People will go off on what
>they thought they heard and what they thought it means.

My concern precisely.  And then the Crown may react to the people who
are overreacting and the whole thing escalates from there.

>>Just a note to those who seem so eager to cut Oklahoma and the Texas
>>panhandle off from the rest of the Kingdom:
>>Gee, it's nice to feel so loved and appreciated!

>No-one I know wants to cut any of our kingdom off. Our diversity makes us
>strong!!!!

Again, I agree, and I don't think this initial proposal is intended
to cut anyone off.  I do think, however, that the segregation would
probably lead to it eventually.

>I have seen a lot of North/South/West tension which was stupid...

I joined the SCA some 10 years ago and have always noticed that,
for some reason, our kingdom seems to gravitate towards regional
conflict.  Or maybe it's just easier to blame regional differences
than to actually solve problems caused when individuals disagree.

>...Didn't we split... into 5 admin districts...to balance the power
>and to buffer...tension (as well as make a more efficient
>administration...

I thought that was the idea at the time.   Haven't we been 3 regions
before?  How well did it work then?

[del]

>Question: How will the crown's travel be reduced if we split into crown
>principalities? Crown principalities as I understand it have no royalty.

I don't think it will have much effect on the Crown.  They, and the
royals, will still have to hold courts.  Just like now.  That's why I
wanted to find out where the definition of this type of principality
was located (thanks, Maire): to find out just what would be the
benefits and drawbacks.  I think there will be a great deal of
opposition to the whole idea until people can actually SEE these pros
and cons in writing.  We all have way too much to lose by jumping the
gun.

Here's a few of the questions I don't have answers to:  (feel free to
respond, if you can help)
Can the creation of a Crown Principality be arbitrarily decided by the
Crown/Kingdom Seneschal? Does the region have to actively submit
a petition, like a regular principality?  Does the populace of the area
have ANY input on whether or not they want to be divided?

Kat
Barony of Wiesenfeuer